Friday, June 17, 2011

eleven months.

the story of how we met.

As of today, Ernie and I have been together for eleven months. And every month on the seventeenth, besides remembering that my car payment is due, I remember that evening at Balboa Beach. I'd like to write down the story of our first day together in my own words while the smallest details are still fresh in my mind. so here's the story:

I slipped on my black cotton dress over my yellow bikini and slid my bare feet into my sandals. I was determined to enjoy my day off from work at the beach, book in hand. I jumped into my little gas efficient vehicle and headed southwest making one stop along the way. I, of course, ecided to stop by the work warehouse on my way to Orange County. To everyone else I might have seemed like a workaholic, but the motivation for my "above and beyond" work ethic was a little more personally driven than it appeared. My summer get-up was a sure sign of a beach trip and when a few friends asked about my plans, I was sure to (as non-chalantly as possible) suggest a bonfire get-together at the beach. It was a chance to hang out, laugh, sing songs around the ember infested pit in the sand and, little did I know, get to know my future husband.

As I exited the warehouse, plans in place, I saw him (as I found out later) standing strategically by the door. I extended a personal invitation to him. "Why don't you come and pick me up?" he said with his adorable smirk at the corner of his mouth. "Wel someone has to go save a fire pit, I'm on my way now." I couldn't let him know that I would have loved to have his company on the way there.

As I sat on the sand reading my horrendously confusing metaphysical book for class, I couldn't help but wonder who would show up to join me. The invitation was rather open-ended and hardly concretized as far as RSVPs go. I gave my friend Sandy a call, a sure attendee of the bonfire, but the voice I heard on the other side was not Sandy. It was Ernie :) Needless to say, I was anxious for people to arrive.

Disappointingly enough, Ernie was really quiet most of the evening. In fact 70% of the time he was completely MIA. I found out that his friend had recently passed away and I figured that was the reason for his sullen demeanor.  I often asked where he went. "That's just Ernie. He's like that. He's like a lone wolf." I will never forget Sandy saying that! He was totally a lone wolf that night, definitely staying away from the pack. I was honestly starting to feel bad. I wanted everyoneto enjoy their time. As he was laying on his blanket, I went up to him and asked if he would like me to take him home early. I insisted that I didn't mind. I was actually hoping for some time to talk to him anyway. I figured it was an indirect was to express interest in him, but he refused my offer and the night went on.

Well it was just about that time. Time to leave. The fire was dwindling and the night approached the last few before the next day. As i folded my towel and located my half-burried sandals, someone spoke over my right shoulder "Hey, Do you want some company on the ride home?" I was ecstatic. I supposemy offer was accepted after all. I was so nervous and giddy that I couldn't even find where I parked in a small parking lot. I wandered across the asphalt with him pressing the unlock button on my key hoping for a beeping response. Once the car was finally located I had to quickly move the substitute closet around to make room for our beach gear. Opting for barely audible music we left Balboa, talking away.

We were approaching Newport pier when Ernie asked me if I knew what time the pier closed. "Well do you want to take a walk with me?" There it was. If I wasn't sure about his interest in me, that question definitely solidified his curious affection. Our conversation began with our one known commonality- hating on our employer at the time haha. We walked until the sidewalk end and then made our way to the sand for our return walk to the car. Towards the end of our little stroll we established another day to hang out. Saturday it was! This was promising. We joked and flirtatiously teased one another the entire way to his house.

Once in the driveway, we exchanged numbers and parted ways with one of those awkward hugs over the center console. I left with an enormous smile and anxiously awaited for Saturday to arrive.

1 comment:

  1. <3 I Loved reading this, in my bleary eyed just woken up stupor it really warmed my heart!

    ReplyDelete